Feb. 16: Join Faith and Action on Capitol Hill
After many religious leaders, including Catholic bishops across America, publicly refused to comply with President Obama’s unconstitutional order to pay for abortion-inducing drugs and other unethical procedures including sterilization, Obama announced an “accommodation” to his orders. He now orders all health insurance companies to provide abortion-inducing drugs“free of charge.”
Thus, Faith and Action’s president, Rev. Rob Schenck, said this is no compromise because it violates the natural rights and liberties of all conscientious objectors and Faith and Action is taking your concerns to Capitol Hill.
Rev. Rob Schenck said, “It’s ludicrous for President Obama to offer a so-called compromise on this egregious violation of religious freedom. The First Amendment expressly forbids him from prohibiting the free exercise of religion. The U.S. founders were crystal clear on that. What’s there to compromise? Certainly not a constitutionally-guaranteed liberty. This action is reason for all religious people – all people of goodwill – to declare a state of emergency. We must speak now or be forever forced to hold our peace.”
Faith and Action invites you to join our chief of program, Peggy Nienaber, and many of our allies to combat this deadly and unconstitutional mandate on Capitol Hill. Here are the details:
Event: “Lines Crossed: Separation of Church and State. Has the Obama Administration Trampled on Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Conscience?”
Hearing by the House Committee of Oversight & Government Reform
Date: Thursday, February 16, 2012
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Location: Rayburn House Office Building, Room 2154, Washington, D.C.
Update: The House Committee of Oversight & Government Reform has provided the following video segment from today’s hearing. It features Bishop Lori and Rev. Harrison answering questions by Rep. Tim Walberg of Michigan in addition to commentary by Rep. Walberg:
Also on February 16, our longtime partner Rev. Patrick Mahoney of the Christian Defense Coalition will lead a prayer vigil and protest the mandates outside the White House at 10:30 a.m. Members of our partner organization Priests for Life will join forces with Pat Mahoney, along with Operation Rescue, Rock for Life, Students for Life of America, and Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust.
Update: Rev. Mahoney and Father Denis Wilde, O.S.A., a Priests for Life associate, were among six pro-lifers arrested. They were cited for “failure to obey a lawful order” as they knelt in prayer in front of the White House. Each paid a $100 fine and was released from custody.
“Occupy Wall Street protesters have been occupying federal property for months, but when we kneel in prayer, the police are called in and we are arrested,” said Fr. Wilde. “We knew that was the risk when we gathered today and we will do it again regardless of the risk. What people of faith – of every faith – need to do now is stand with us.”
We humbly request your prayers for the success of all efforts to secure the unalienable rights to life, true liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Of course we are with you in faith and action!
- 25th Annual National Bible Reading Marathon Starts Sunday! April 22, 2014The 25th Annual #DCBibleMarathon Begins Sunday, April 27th at 6pm and will continue- day & night, rain or shine, until the entire Bible has been read aloud on the West Plaza of the U.S. Capitol. Stop by to join the fun, or follow and tweet along online using the hashtag #DCBibleMarathon.The post 25th Annual National Bible Reading Marathon Starts Sunday! […]
- Rob’s Blog: President Obama on Easter April 22, 2014It’s hard for presidents to attend church. They know–like everyone else–that it’s hard for worshippers to keep their minds on God when the Chief Executive is in the room. It happened this past Sunday when the First Family attended the Easter-Resurrection service at Washington’s Ninteenth Street Baptist Church. A blogger for the White House reported […]The po […]
- Vibrant Church in Washington, DC keeps midnight Easter Vigil to celebrate Jesus’ Resurrection April 20, 2014This service, known as “The Easter Vigil” follows the pattern of one of the earliest recorded traditions of the Christian Church – keeping watch the night before we celebrate the remembrance of Christ’s Resurrection on Easter Sunday, and is held every year by a family of churches in Washington, DC (one of which, Rev. Rob […]The post Vibrant Church in Washing […]
- Stations of the Cross 2014 | Photo Album April 17, 2014Today Rev. Rob Schenck carried the cross all across Washington, DC to remind the Supreme Court justices, members of congress, and the President–along with all those who work for them–that there is only one thing that really matters, and that’s the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. Along the way, he stopped to read the […]The post Stations of the Cros […]
- Stations of the Cross walk for Easter in Washington, DC April 17, 2014Rev. Rob Schenck led a great stations of the cross walk across Washington, DC today. We’ve got tons of great pictures and video from the walk and will be posting those today and a blog post from Rob tomorrow about more of what happened on our walk. Watch this page and the front page of […]The post Stations of the Cross walk for Easter in Washington, DC appe […]